Thursday, April 03, 2008

Pittsburgh cycling history in jerseys

So I took a trip to the The Chew Man's house last week to collect on a bike part I had given him. He was working frantically on 2008 RAAM stats. He hooked me up with a few pieces of Pittsburgh cycling history.

#1: ACA club jersey. Apparently in the late 70's if you were a member of the ACA you got a jersey. It is wool, with long sleeves, it simply has ACA embroidered on the sleeves.




#2: Pittsburgh Power jersey. This was the team Pittsburgh had for the "National Criterium League." It was headed by Franco Harris and had some superstars on it. The league didnt last very long, but its a cool piece of history.


#3: Simply, one of Matt Eaton's Raleigh jerseys. I have yet to meet Mr. Eaton, but the respect is immense. Still the only American to win the Milk Race. Friedman is trying to steal Eaton's title as "most successful Pittsburgh cyclist EVER" but as of now, it is a tight race.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I stumbled upon your blog on Pittsburgh Cycling. I have a Pittsburgh Power Skin Suit at home from the 90's. It is an orange, red, and black Voler kit, with a few different sponsors on it. The NCL logos are clear on the arms and collar, but I don't remember the others. I picked it up at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome swap meet in 96 or 97 I think. Drop me a line if you want a pic. You might be able to help me identify the year.