Friday, February 15, 2008

how many valentines did yellow cab ruin?

I have no idea how yellow cab figures out how many cars to put on the road. My impression is that they have an endless supply of "junk" cars in the lot and they are actually short on drivers. Either way, at 2:30 am on a Friday night, there is obviously going to be a shortage, because otherwise, there would be way too many every other time of every other day.

Not enough cabs on Friday night at 2:30 am, or Valentines day at 730pm. To begin with, there was a six car pileup on the parkway west at 5 o'clock. That will ruin the commute home. The Birmingham bridge dropped 8 inches last week and is shut down. The blvd of the allies bridge is just a skeleton, leaving no way from the parkway into Oakland. That coupled with a lot of the side streets still being covered in snow led to A HUGE delay.

It was sweet for me as a driver, because everywhere I went there was a fare waiting. Aspinwall at 9pm, sure there is somebody waiting at the VA.
"Been waiting long?" "Yeah three and a half hours..."
"Wow... I just took the call eight minutes ago.. sorry."
Good thing the tip is prewritten into the voucher by the social worker at the hospital.

So tons of couples that had a nice evening planned for their special day got the shaft by mother nature, Pittsburgh's crumbling infrastructure, and of course Yellow Cab Co.

I must say the topper of it all was when I pulled into the beautiful waterfront at 1:30 am. I picked a guy up at a restaurant in the southside. By his smell, he obviously worked in the kitchen. He was headed to the movie theater for what I can only guess is his second job, being that it was closed when we got there. What a work ethic. Anyway, when I pull up, there are 5-10 well dressed college aged kids standing out from of the closed movie theater. They hop in as the other man gets out.
"Thank you so much, we have been waiting in the cold for an hour..."
"Wow, Im sorry..."
"The movie theater closed an hour ago and the manager kicked us out..."

I told him that I can take four people, and he said "Im going to shadyside if anybody is going that way.." And another couple got in the cab, leaving 5 or so more people out in the cold. In this situation... apparently the old timers will run the meter and charge them both the cost of the meter. So, drop off one is 12 bucks, you get their 12, then you drive to drop off two and it is 15 (3 more dollars for a mile or so) and you then get their 15. Im not super into price gouging, so I just let them split it when they asked how it worked.

The other 5 people, I have no idea what happened with them. There are no buses running at this hour, cabs know that this places is mostly shut down at this hour, and their fares were on the screen, it's just that nobody was taking them.

So this is yellow's business model: Provide mediocre enough service that a few people rely on you, but dont be constant enough to create an actual demand due to the fact that if there was a demand, you would have to fix the junk cars in the lot and provide more operators and services.

1 comment:

Seldom Seen said...

"So tons of couples that had a nice evening planned for their special day got the shaft by mother nature, Pittsburgh's crumbling infrastructure, and of course Yellow Cab Co."

So now besides God and the city in which I live, I can add Yellow Cab Co. to the list entities to blame when bad things happen to me.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.