Friday, February 29, 2008

the jogger index.

For those who dont know, Lawrenceville is in a "renaissance." It is going from a white trash junkie haven with a gays and artists, to a full on yuppie haven. There are lofts that rent for what I assume something in New York should go for. There are neighborhood groups that ignore the junkie riff raff, but instead choose to complain about billboards and green spaces.
The crackerdom hit an apex a few weeks ago when a "bakery" opened a few blocks away.

I went undercover to check the place out. I had my Levi "skinny jeans" on, and a Patagonia jacket. The biggest mistake in my disguise was to not have a Mac laptop, instead bringing 6 month old issues of procycling with the covers ripped of to be sent back to the publisher. I still tried blending in as best as I could. I think the lack of laptop that screams "Im a young professional that left my loft while 'working from home' to go to the coffee shop to 'work from home'" may have looked conspicuous.

First reaction. There are no prices. No seriously, there was no price list that I could see. They sell espresso, coffee, quiche, cakes, muffins and T shirts. The T shirts had a price on them. Due to no price list, I CANNOT confirm rumors of a single cupcake costing $2.50, however I believe it to be true. I didnt want to eat anything because I am a neurotic cyclist, but I at least wanted to see a sign advertising cupcakes for 2.50. No luck.

While walking home I checked the JI (jogger index, a sure sign of yuppification) I counted 3 joggers on a 23 degree February day.(The JI equation has yet to be worked out, I need some help Dr. Stubna. It will factor in the weather, amount of joggers, type of clothing that they are wearing and time of day. Time of day is crucial, because if somebody is exercising while 'working from home' the JI skyrockets) This is in a 7 block walk on snow covered sidewalks.

This whole post was somewhat tongue in cheek and trying to be funny. However, people are worried/scared about gentrification on our area, yet open things that are privy to ONLY new neighborhood residents. The other local coffee shop seems to do a good job of accommodating new and old residents, but the scenario here seems to almost be a "keep out" sign.

7 comments:

Soupie! said...

The manny theiner index

Burt Friggin' Hoovis said...

Yo - I was in Lawrenceville last night. In town with the old lady for our anniversary and went to the Church Brew Works. Called a cab home, and I was half wondering if it wouldn't be you behind the wheel, Steevo.

Man - I forgot how bad weather in Pittsburgh sucks. I was hoping to get a couple of rides in while I was here, but the only exercise I'm going to get is shoveling my old man's driveway. Its 45 and sunny today down in Frederick.

Anonymous said...

burt, stay in frederick. we wouldnt want the 'pussification index' to skyrocket if you somehow ended up in the 'burgh to stay

Burt Friggin' Hoovis said...

Nice...

Jason said...

Gotta love the folks that got the skillz to make a $2.50 cupcake. Gotta hate those charging $2.50 for a f*cking cupcake! Rock on in your skinny jeans. These days it's big, baggy, and a size large than last winter for me ;)

Anonymous said...

Steevo,
You are part of the gentrification.

Hippie.

Anonymous said...

Am I contributing to the "yuppification" of the 'hood by jogging? I thought I was exercising on the cheap.... Maybe I should get a personal trainer and membership to X-Shadyside. Maybe you should work on developing the RWI (road weenie index)? Seriously.